To refresh the NextD Player with the latest firmware (20160719 with VPN patch and other improvements), you will need the following tools:
1. A Windows PC
2. A type-A-male to type-A-male USB cable such as this one: http://amzn.to/2adIAOt
3. A paperclip
To perform a refresh, follow the steps below:
1. Download the following two files to your Windows PC
2. Install the Android USB device driver on PC
2.1 On the Windows PC, launch the Device Manager program, then expand the "Universal Serial Bus controllers" category.
2.2 Unplug the power cord of NextD, then plug in one end of the USB cable to NextD box. Please use the USB port next to the Ethernet/LAN port.
2.3 Use a paperclip to push down the RESET hole at the bottom of NextD (see the picture below for the RESET hole. Some batches may not have a button inside this hole, in that case, the RESET hole for these units are located between the two USB port behind the NextD)
2.4 While the paperclip is in the pushed down position, plug in the other end of the USB cable to the PC. You can let go the paperclip once you hear a connection sound on PC.
2.5 On the PC, then an "Unknown Device" should appear under the "Universal Serial Bus controllers" category if the Android device driver is not already installed on PC. If the device driver was already present, it will show "USB Device (VID_1f3a_PID_efe8)" instead.
2.6 Right click on the "Unknown Device" then select "Update Driver Software", then select "Browse my computer for driver software". Select the "Drivers" folder under the PhoenixSuit_V1.10 folder, then click on Next to install the latest driver.
2.7 The Device Manager program window should show the "USB Device (VID_1f3a_PID_efe8)" device below if it is installed successfully.
3. Once the Android device driver is successfully installed, you can directly launch the PhoenixSuit appliation (2,211KB in size) without installation, then select the firmware tab as indicated below:
4. Click on the Image button, then select the "NextD_firmware_20160719.img" file you downloaded earlier.
5. Unplug the power cord of NextD Player, plug in one end of the USB cable to the USB port on NextD. Please make sure to use the USB port that is right next to the Ethernet/LAN port.
6. Use a paperclip to push in on the RESET hole and hold it in the down position.
7. While the paperclip is in the pushed down position, connect the other end of the USB port to the Windows PC.
8. The Phoenix Suit program should automatically detect the NextD Player when connected and pops up the following window asking if you want to perform mandatory format. Click on "Yes" to proceed. The paperclip can be safely removed once you see the following pop up window:
9. Once the firmware update is underway, it should finish in a couple of minutes. Click OK once it is completed and you can now safely unplug the USB cable from both the PC and the NextD Player.
10. Your NextD Player is now refreshed with the latest firmware and should be good to go.